The 5 A's: Steps to Tobacco Intervention
Successful intervention begins with identifying users and appropriate interventions based upon the patient’s willingness to quit. The five major steps to intervention are the “5 A’s”: Ask, Advise, Assess, Assist, and Arrange.
1. Ask. Identify tobacco users at every visit.
2. Advise. Talk with patients about tobacco use and urge them to quit.
3. Assess. Determine if the patient is willing to make a quit attempt at this time.
4. Assist. Prescribe a medication unless contraindications exist.
5. Arrange. Arrange follow-up, including Fax-To-Quit Louisiana.