Quit and Stay Quit Monday
Smokers often wait for special occasions like birthdays or New Year’s to quit, but most will relapse within a month. Studies show that it takes several attempts to stop smoking for good.
I Quit & Stay Quit Monday (QSQM) offers a more sustainable solution. Rather than wait for an annual event to try quitting, smokers can take advantage of 52 Mondays every year and the global support network that comes with them. There are many ways that smokers can use Monday as a day to quit, recommit to their quit, or quit again after a relapse. They can:
- Use Monday as a day for planning ahead.
- Look to the upcoming week to anticipate triggers that might get in the way.
- Use Monday to celebrate progress and reward themselves for staying quit.
- Engage in their social support on Monday.
- Start their week by checking in with a cessation counselor or a “Quit Buddy” to support their progress.
QSQM also has many resources for cessation counselors. Cessation counselors can use Monday to boost engagement in any new or existing smoking cessation program by incorporating a variety of FREE QSQM resources:
- Cessation group counseling curriculum
- Workbook for cessation group participants
- Weekly tips and motivational messages via email and social media
- Creative materials for recruitment and engagement
- Implementation and evaluation guide
- QSQM microsite for participants to pledge to stay quit and plan for another smokefree week
Check out our quitting tools, tips and support for individuals, worksites, schools and communities on IQuitMonday.org.